Saturday, September 17, 2005

Worship and Materialism

Ok, I've come to realize a lot over the past few weeks. Here's a few random thoughts on some stuff that's been goin through my head. The first is worship. I've come to the realization that we, as Christians, make too much out of worship (at least from what I've experienced). I don't mean the praising God, I mean the music. It's so pathetic how we seem to not be able to praise God if the music isn't our style. We should be able to praise God in silence. Now, I known this for a while and been convicted about it, but it wasn't until the last few weeks at Bethany that I've started to apply it. Everything goes down here during worship. Old hymns, new songs, songs I've sang since I was a kid, songs I've never heard before. It doesn't seem to matter what the case, no one cares. Everyone's there to praise God. To give Him the glory and honor, not the song. That's so cool and something I think all of us need to stop talking about and start applying in our worship. A true passion for seeking Him.

The second thing that's really got me going lately it Christians and materialism. Why do we think that stuff will make us happy or content. I've seen so many people so focused on Christ, that none of that matters. It's awesome to be in a place where materialism doesn't seem to be a huge issue. But that makes mterialism stick out even more when I do see it. Why don't we put our money toward tithing, even giving above and beyond our 10% or using our money to put toward a trip to N.O. to help out with the hurricane relief. But no, we use the money God's provided us with to buy the latest trends, whether in clothes, music, movies, video games, etc. It's not all bad to have this stuff, but why are we neglecting the real needs of others to expand our wardrobe? It's easier said than done, I know this. But it's something God's really given me a passion for lately. Acts 2:44-45 says "All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need." Remember you can't serve God and money. What's it gonna be? much love becky

No comments:

Post a Comment