Monday, April 26, 2010

The Pursuit of Rightness

Why do we always feel the need to be right? Why are we so afraid of questions? Of asking questions and exploring responses without necessarily having to come up with the one correct answer? I think this is something just about every human struggles with, but the “we” I am specifically referring to is Christians. We have this insatiable drive to have the one correct answer to every question asked of us. Sometimes our response should be “I don’t know.” Sometimes our response should be there are many possible answers. But, rather than admitting to this, we typically feel the need to join one side of the debate…and argue that side of the debate to no end. Whether it’s environmental issues, Arminian vs Calvinist, women in ministry, homosexuality, young vs old earth, liberal vs conservative, war…and the list goes on and on...and on. I’m not saying it is wrong to have opinions on these matters. I know I do…some stronger than others. What I am questioning is our seemingly incurable complex to be right about everything.

This is something I have been thinking a lot about lately. What I have written above is just a brief introduction to the many thoughts I have been having regarding this thing I am calling the pursuit of rightness. Many times when I write on here, it is merely quickly thrown together, incoherent thoughts. This time, I am trying to put something together that is a little easier understand. This means I actually need to take some time to think through this and organize my thoughts in a way that can be clearly communicated. So here's the deal...I am going to be writing my thoughts on this matter in segments. The above is a brief introduction on more to come. As I figure out how to clearly communicate other thoughts surrounding this idea, I will write more.

No comments:

Post a Comment